Friday, February 11, 2011

Why have a mid-life crisis when your 45?

So I come into work today and one of the Howard Johnson front desk employees (and son of the owner) pulls up in a shiney Suzuki street bike. Now normally he drives a old green pick up truck or his dad's mercedes, so I was a little suprised. He's about 22 years old. Our conversation went as follows:

Me:  "Jay, when did you get a street bike?"

Jay:  "About 3 months ago. I saved up some money because I really wanted a motorcycle."

Me:  "But I mean, your dad lets you drive around that pimped out Mercedes and that truck isn't bad"

Jay:  " Well, women like motorcycles, not to mention, why have a mid-life crisis when your 45 and want a motorcycle, when you can have one now?"

Me: "I have no rebuttal"

----
I just realized I understand why Indian kids don't mind living with their parents. The tradition of staying at home and "taking care" of the parents when they get old actually means having lots of discretionary income to spend on motorcycles, not to mention usually inheriting a business from the folks because many Indians enjoy owning their own companies. I'm kinda jealous....I want a lot of money to spend on stupid toys like motorcycles...

1 comment: