Thursday, February 3, 2011

ABQ and School Cancelations: A match made in heaven?

Thats what my wife is thinking today after her third day off from school. I can understand tuesday and wednesday, as the roads and the weather was pretty bad both days, but today the roads were clear and there wasnt any snow near the roads. It was blisteringly cold out (about 1 degree F when we left for work this morning) but thats NOTHING. When I was in 4th and 5th grade in New Jersey, the only days we had off were 2 feet of snow and ice on the roads, but it had to be both. If you told the powers that be on the school board to close school because it was cold, they would laugh in your face. But thats the northeast....and this is the southwest, where my wife also had a day off early in the school year because the school district was worried about ice on the roads (when it was 45 degrees outside).

If I told this to my Michigan-based parent's 11 year old neighbor, he would be very VERY unhappy. Probably would ask his mom to move to New Mexico. I can't say I would blame him. Standing in a snowdrift while waiting for the bus in the middle of Feb during a 10 degree blizzard is a  memory that still chills me to the bone 15 years later.

But, if it gets my wife a day off from work, I suppose she'll be happy, and that makes me happy. So be it.

Just about to get off from work, and probably out to dinner for some chinese or soup 'n salad.

1 comment: